Costa Rica – Rich Wildlife, Biodiversity & Spectacular Natural Beauty
Small but beautiful, Costa Rica boasts a dramatic landscape that’s rich in natural wonders and biodiversity. Costa Rica offers rugged mountains, wild rainforests, steep river valleys, open savannas, and chilly cloud forests, not to mention vast stretches of pristine Pacific and Caribbean coastline. These diverse ecosystems within Costa Rica serve as home to a staggering amount of wildlife—from red-eyed tree frogs to scarlet macaws to howler monkeys—and attract visitors of all kinds, including families, adventure-seekers, and luxury travelers.
Experience “pura vida,” the Costa Rican phrase you’ll hear time and time again that serves as a reminder to celebrate the good things in life.
Costa Rica is a friendly, peaceful nation (it abolished its army in 1948) that goes to great lengths to preserve and protect its prolific natural beauty. In addition to Costa Rica’s fabulous national parks and nature reserves is a stellar selection of eco-lodges and boutique hotels—some world-renowned. Visitors will love the diverse array of outdoor experiences on offer: Raft raging rivers, explore lush forests, scale volcanoes, zip-line through treetops, or watch nesting marine turtles. Costa Rica’s coastline offers scuba diving, fishing, and plenty of palm-lined, white-sand beaches for relaxing (hermit crabs may be your sole companions on some). Experience “pura vida,” the Costa Rican phrase you’ll hear time and time again that serves as a reminder to celebrate the good things in life.
What does Costa Rica Offer?
- Spectacular Caribbean and Pacific beaches, , active volcanoes, dense mangroves, tropical cloud forests, hidden waterfalls, and sky-blue rivers.
- Turtle nesting in Tortuguero on the Caribbean.
- Hikes on the active Poás and Irazú volcanoes and bathing in volcano-heated thermal springs in Arenal and Rincón de la Vieja.
- Some of the world’s best surfing, including the challenging Salsa Brava on the Caribbean coast and Pavones on the Pacific coast. Also, plenty of less technical options for new surfers.
- Biodiversity with a wide range of microclimates.
- A tropical utopia full of exotic flowers, colorful toucans, nesting sea turtles, colorful marine life, and playful monkeys, as well as a number of endangered species.
- Exceptional service from some of the happiest people in the world.
- A peaceful haven, often called “the Switzerland of the Americas,” with no standing military since 1948.
- Ruins of a pre-Columbian settlement at Guayabo National Monument.
- Sportsfishing on both coasts, as well as freshwater angling.
- Endless active adventure, such as zip-lining, hanging bridges, and canyoneering; kitesurfing, windsurfing, and jet skiing; horseback riding, bicycling, and ATV; surfing, scuba, and snorkeling.
- Environmentally conscious national wildlife refuges, reserves, and parks as well as private eco-lodges and nature-centered resorts.
Who will enjoy a trip to Costa Rica?
Costa Rica is for you if you enjoy…
- BEACHES, MOUNTAINS & VOLCANOS: Sandy beaches, mountains covered in ancient oak trees, hot springs, and active volcanoes
- EDUCATIONAL & SPECIALIST ACTIVITIES: Tropical studies, biology, botany, bird watching, photography
- CULTURAL DIVERSITY: Local cuisine, rich traditions, festivals, indigenous communities, people of mixed backgrounds
- ECO-DIVERSITY: Cloud forests, rainforests, nature reserves, exotic birds, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, and insects
- SUSTAINABLE TOURISM: “Green” hotels & lodges and eco-conscious practices throughout the country
- ADVENTURE SPORTS: Hiking, zip-lining, surfing, swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, river safaris, canyoneering, kayaking, horse riding, all-terrain vehicle (ATV) tours, bicycling, bungee jumping